Earth Day Scavenger Hunt by CEM
Happy Earth Day! Sustainability is a big part of CEM events, and we want to help our staff and industry friends continue that work in their daily lives. It might be intimidating to start making lifestyle choices to be more sustainable, so we created this photo scavenger hunt to show that small changes can make a big difference. See the photos CEM-ers submitted and see how many you can check off today! Be sure to tag us in your photos on Facebook and Instagram.
- Go paperless: Unsubscribe to one catalog or elect to have one bill/statement sent to you online. Here’s an easy way to do reduce catalogs and junk mail: https://www.catalogchoice.org
- Offset your travel: Reduce your carbon footprint by using electric vehicles or public transportation when possible. What you can’t reduce or eliminate, compensate for the amount of carbon dioxide placed into the atmosphere by your travel by investing in an environmental project that reduces the same amount of carbon dioxide: https://www.cooleffect.org/travel-offset.
- Use reusable bags when grocery shopping instead of relying on the store’s plastic bags.
- Walk/ride your bike somewhere vs. driving or taking public transportation.
- Eat a meatless meal: If everyone in the USA reduced their consumption of meat by one quarter and ate plant proteins instead, we’d save about 82 million metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions per year.
- Go plogging: Pick up trash while on a run/walk, or clean up your local park.
- Donate used items: Take old clothes to a charity or local donation facility.
- Plant fruits or vegetables: By growing your own fruit and vegetables, you can ensure you’re not using pesticides that will contribute to water and air pollution. This will also help to reduce the amount of fossil fuels used to transport produce to supermarkets.
- Bring a reusable cup to a coffee shop: Even better, visit a local coffee shop instead of a national chain!
- Compost food scraps: Find a drop-off location near you: https://www.recyclebycity.com/chicago/brief/how-to-compost-in-a-chicago-apartment
- Make a craft: Use recyclable materials or items from around your house for a fun craft project. Here is some inspiration: https://kidsactivitiesblog.com/138729/10-things-you-can-do-to-celebrate-earth-day-from-home/